Sunday, May 26, 2013

Coconut Ginger Pineapple Chicken + Vegetables

Fig and Rose Coconut Ginger Pineapple Chicken

Found this recipe from SimpleBites and had to try.  I've been searching for a go-to curry recipe, and hadn't quite found the one yet.  My versions were never as flavorful as the real deal.  BUT this is the best one I've made yet, by far.  I'd say 9/10 - and with future improvements (see below), it could be a perfect score.

The original recipe is for a slow cooker, but I never think to start making dinner in time to use mine.  So I've adapted it to just cook in a large pot.

Ingredients:

4 Garlic Cloves, peeled
3-inch Ginger Root, peeled + roughly chopped
1 Yellow Onion, quartered
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Coriander
1 tsp Black Pepper
1-1/2 tbsp Turmeric
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Coconut Oil (or Olive)
2 tbsp Butter
2.5 lbs Chicken, chopped
2 cans Coconut Milk, not shaken
2 tbsp Cornstarch
1 can Baby Corn
1 can Pineapple
1 cup Snap Peas
1 cup Green Beans, chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped


Coconut oil is my new favorite - I was just introduced to it last summer, and it makes everything taste so good.  Not like coconut, in the same way that olive oil doesn't make everything taste like olives, but in a rich, nutty, vanilla-ish way.


I also added in potatoes, to give it more substance - had to adjust cooking time for that too.  I'm not including it in the recipe because I wasn't a big fan.  And though I didn't include them, I want to add in canned pineapple, red bell pepper and green beans next time. Make it a full Yellow Curry.

1. Put onion, ginger, and garlic into a small food processor and pulse until a paste forms.



2. Heat coconut oil and butter in a large pot and add paste, cooking for 2-3 minutes.  Add in turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt and black pepper and stir, cooking for another 2-3 minutes and stirring constantly.


I use WAY more spices than recipes ever call for.  I've just found that the recipes are too bland otherwise.

3. Add chicken + red bell pepper, coating them with mixture. Cook 2-3 minutes.


4. Open cans of coconut milk and remove cream from top, placing in small bowl.  Pour coconut milk over chicken (will just cover)


5. Drain canned baby corn and add to pot.  Add green beans, snap peas and pineapple.


6. Whisk cornstarch with coconut cream and add to pot.  Stir well.


The cornstarch thickens the sauce perfectly.  Got to remember that trick when I make soups in the future...

7. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer until chicken and potatoes are done, approximately 20 minutes. Add black pepper and salt to taste.


Made this with brown rice, cooked with a little coconut oil added in as well.  Had to wait a while for it to cool down, and added quite a bit of salt and pepper to my bowl.  But I think I've found it! The curry I've been searching for! Huzzah.

Time: 45 minutes total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Recipe:

SimpleBites

No comments:

Post a Comment