Saturday, February 15, 2014

Homemade Granola


This granola is perfect in my book.  My problem with store-bought granola is that it is so sugar-packed.  Let's be honest, it tastes more like cookies than anything else.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  But I wanted something that I wouldn't feel guilty about eating a bowl of in the morning. I suppose this is more like muesli in consistency...but I like calling it granola.

I should also probably fess up here - I've never actually made this on my own.  Thanks to the fiance for bringing this into my life.  And for letting me blog about it like I made it.

Ingredients:
6 cups rolled oats
2 cups mixed nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews - up to you!)
1/3 cup seeds (flax, sunflower, sesame - again, your pick)
1 cup dried unsweetened coconut
1 tsp cinnamon
1 dash salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, blueberries)


1. Preheat oven to 300.

2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT dried fruit and stir well to mix.


3.  Spread evenly onto 2 cookie sheets and bake for 30 minutes.  Give it a stir half-way through.


4.  Remove from oven, and allow to cool.  Place back into bowl and add dried fruit.


The browner it gets without burning, the crispier it will be! The olive oil helps with this.


Keep it in a sealed container or ziplock bag, and it lasts forever!


--------------------------------------
Original Recipe:

This recipe comes from a friend, to whom I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment