Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Kale + Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese


There is nothing that brings me comfort like a grilled cheese and tomato soup.  I was first introduced to the concept at summer camp.  It was one of those meals that was so looked forward to that we'd sing praises to the cook before we were even done. (Yes, sing. Didn't you sing during meals at camp too? No? Just me?)

This is grown-up grilled cheese, for sure - it makes me feel a bit more healthy to stick some kale in there.  But never fear - I still dunked in some good old Campbell's Tomato Soup.  Maybe someday when I'm a real adult, I'll make my own tomato soup too.

Makes 3 sandwiches

Ingredients:

6 slices Bread (I love both When Pigs Fly and Iggy's sourdough)
1 cup Mozzerella or White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/2 package Baby Kale
1 Onion, chopped
1 tsp Coconut Oil


1. Chop onion.  Cook in coconut oil in a large pan until tender and browned, stirring frequently.


2. Add kale to onion, and stir in until kale begins to wilt. Take off heat.


3. Lay out bread on a large plate or cookie sheet, and cover 3 slices with cheese.  Add on kale mixture, and close sandwiches.


4. Place sandwiches on a panini maker, pan, or grill.  Cook for 3 minutes, or until cheese melts. Serve with tomato soup.


I'd rather be here for dinner today, then anywhere else I know....

-------------------------------------------

Original Recipe:

Cooking Light

No comments:

Post a Comment