Friday, July 26, 2013

Sauteed Spinach + Mushrooms

Fig and Rose Sauteed Spinach and Mushrooms

This recipe comes from Martha Rose Shulman's "The Very Best of Recipes for Health".  She's the resident writer of the NYTimes Recipes for Health, which is a great place for inspiration.  Her recipes are the best - all healthy, all easy, all tasty, and all with simple ingredients.  But the reason I have a soft spot in my heart for Martha Rose is that hers was the first cookbook I ever used.  A friend lent me her book, and I wound up copying nearly the entire thing.  And then went out and bought my own.  So thank you, Martha Rose, for hooking me on cooking.

This both goes well in tacos and on top of bruschetta (with a great garlic-yogurt sauce from Martha Rose that I'll post up here someday).

Ingredients:

1 bag Spinach
1 Onion, diced
1 package Crimini or Button Mushrooms
2 tbsp Cumin, divided
2 tbsp Paprika, divided
Coconut or Olive Oil
Salt + Pepper, to taste


A bunch of these ingredients are for the tacos I was making, so don't get too confused.

1. Dice onion.  Heat coconut oil in large pan or pot, and cook onion for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.  Add 1 tbsp of both cumin and paprika and stir in.


2. Add in mushrooms and the rest of the cumin and paprika.

3. Stir in spinach, one handful at a time, until wilted.  Covering the pan/pot with a lid can help speed this up.



Et voila.
--------------------------------------------------
Original Recipe:

The original is in her book, but here is the link to her website (with plenty of online recipes).

Martha Rose Shulman

No comments:

Post a Comment